The name Ceragan comes from the word
"cerag" which means torch in Persian. The area in which
the Palace is located was called Ceragan because of the famous
Ottoman parties which were held in tulip gardens with torches.
The palace was built during the reign of Abdulmecit and was
designed by the Armenian Architect Serkis Balyan. The building was
constructed using the financial loans that were obtained for
restructuring the water system of Istanbul and the construction of a
new railway. The construction took 12 years. This is the last palace
built by the Ottoman Empire for the royal family.
the main building was destroyed by fire on 6 january 1910. Only the
exterior walls remained from the structure.
The main building has been renovated and with the addition of
a modern hotel building the site has been converted to a hotel.
The other surviving buildings in the complex are being used as